Minimum result size for geocoding

deals with geocoding and reverse geocoding
Benjaminabat

Minimum result size for geocoding

Post by Benjaminabat »

For reverse geocoding there is an option to set ENGINE_MINSIZE to an integer value. The returned result must be at least as big. Is there a similar option for "normal" geocoding?
Joost

Re: Minimum result size for geocoding

Post by Joost »

I don't think that there is such a option. But I also do not understand the use case behind this. What do you expect such an option would do for example if you enter a completely valid addres including house number? Then there is only 1 valid option to return in my opinion.
Benjaminabat

Post by Benjaminabat »

My use case would be to always have at least one result returned. Thus the entered address could be returned.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Benjamin,

if you provide an invalid address such as
Country = GER
City = Munich
Street = SCHNICKSCHNACK (which doesn't exist)
our algorithms try to identify alternative addresses and cut the result (GER Munich, Schnickstraße).
If there are no alternatives found on street level we escalate to a more surficial level such as "GER Munich" and so on.

The strategy here is - as Joost already explained - return something if it is meaningful but not in any case.

Compared to SQL:
If you request a SELECT TOP 1 * FROM TheMagicTableWithBillionsOfDatarecords WHERE ImpossibleCondition you will get an empty result set though you specify the TOP statement.

Best regards Bernd