findAddress in UK with fragment of post code

deals with geocoding and reverse geocoding
MISTERX

findAddress in UK with fragment of post code

Post by MISTERX »

I found a case which sounds strange for me!

I'd like to look up "109 Lambeth Road, SE1 7LP, London, GB" with method findAddress:

With post code "SE1" or less, I'll get only street (reference point), but by omitting house number and setting post code to "SE1 7" or more, I'll get the list with all available house numbers

Does anybody know, why it is not possible to get the list with all available house numbers by requesting with "SE1"?

Every hint or explanation will be welcome!

THX in advance.
Mr. X
  • Integration PTV <> SAP
  • Senior Consultant

Optimism is only a lack of data!
bocajo

Re: findAddress in UK with fragment of post code

Post by bocajo »

Hi Mister X

Are you using extended postalcodes for UK? Or have you set the parameter ReturnAllHNr? Which Map are you using?
Jochen Anderer
Manager Engineer
PTV GROUP GERMANY
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Jochen,

we were using this url of the PTV World City Map (TOMTOM):
https://api.cloud.ptvgroup.com/xlocate/ws/XLocate
Input pattern: Full postcode. The result is based on the extended zipcode data and contains a 7digit representative.
Input pattern: Full postcode. The result is based on the extended zipcode data and contains a 7digit representative.
Reduced input pattern based on leading 4 characters. Result is as it should be: contains concrete house number is found. That's what the user expects.
Reduced input pattern based on leading 4 characters. Result is as it should be: contains concrete house number is found. That's what the user expects.
By removing one more character (input pattern based on leading 3 chars) the result aggregates postcodes
By removing one more character (input pattern based on leading 3 chars) the result aggregates postcodes
Not sure whether the user simply needs an explanation for the 3digits behaviour or a parametrizing that is able to identify the housenumber even with 3 digits.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
bocajo

Post by bocajo »

The last result looks strange, I would also expect that the xLocate will find the HNo 109. If you like to know in detail, we have to anlyse that behavior.
Jochen Anderer
Manager Engineer
PTV GROUP GERMANY
MISTERX

Post by MISTERX »

Dear bocajo

yes, we are highly interested in the root-cause, because we have to process the proposals in our SAP-Implementation and actually we have some problems to get suitable proposals.

Please assist! THX in advance!
Mr. X
  • Integration PTV <> SAP
  • Senior Consultant

Optimism is only a lack of data!
bocajo

Post by bocajo »

Now I know why the housenumber isn't found in the 3rd. case.
The housenumber "109 Lambeth Road" is assigned to the city Lambeth. If the input is "109 Lambeth Road, SE1 7, London, GB" the xLocate is finding the street directory with the postalcode and the city input. So both are considered to choose the result address.
If you are searching with the input "109 Lambeth Road, SE1, London, GB" the postalcode isn't complete, therefore it isn't taken into account to find a street directory and it also isn't considered to find the housenumber. The xLocate is finding a street segment "Lambeth Road, London, GB" which fits better to the input than "109 Lambeth Road, Lambeth". That's the reason why the xLocate is returning only the street section and not the housenumber.
Jochen Anderer
Manager Engineer
PTV GROUP GERMANY