Different results when entering postcode or location name

deals with geocoding and reverse geocoding
biro.daniel

Different results when entering postcode or location name

Post by biro.daniel »

Hi Guys,

When entering a postcode and a corresponding location name in the Address field of xLocate and using the findAddressByText function, we are facing a problem as detailed below.

By entering a postcode (e.g., HU, 2016; 47.717614331, 19.083980869), we get a different result (coordinates) compared to when entering the name of the town (e.g., HU, Leányfalu; 47.715635484, 19.088868487) if the location has only one postcode. It seems that in one case the result is put on the name of the location displayed on the map, while in the other case the result tends to the geometric midpoint of the town. In some instances, it can result in quite big distances (even more than 1 km). Currently, we are using xLocate version 1.24.0.0 and PTV_Europe_City_Map_Premium_2017_1H_12.

We understand that it is a proper way of functioning to get different results when a city has more than one postcode. But if a town has only one ZIP code, it seems reasonable to get the same results. Does this way of displaying data have a specific reason? Is it possible to set the exact same location (coordinates) for one postcode and the corresponding location name?

Thank you for your reply in advance!

Kind regards,
Daniel
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Different results when entering postcode or location nam

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Daniel

you are right. I forwarded this topic to our experts and asked for a feedback. The gap is >0 but not completely far off.
Two different results coordinates based on postcode or city input...
Two different results coordinates based on postcode or city input...
Let's wait for their reponse.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
bocajo

Post by bocajo »

The reason is the name of a city is a point (City Center POI) tha we are getting from the data provider. The postal code is an area so we have to calculate the point by ourselve. Both point are also different on Here WeGo.
Searching only for the postal code 2016:
https://wego.here.com/directions/mix//2 ... ,15,normal

Seraching only for the city name Leányfalu:
https://wego.here.com/ungarn/le%C3%A1ny ... 3%A1nyfalu
Jochen Anderer
Manager Engineer
PTV GROUP GERMANY
biro.daniel

Post by biro.daniel »

Dear Jochen and Bernd,

Thank you for your quick response! So it seems that currently it is not possible to set the same location for one postcode and the corresponding location name.

Do you think that you could change how the output is shown on the map for the identical search results? We understand that it is not really possible in case of cities with more than one postcode. But is it possible with towns with one postcode only?

Kind regards,
Daniel
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Daniel,

I forwarded the idea to our data department but I can't guarantee any consideration. The approach itself doesn't sound complicated (to me ;-) ) but it would have an impact on historically grown processes and data.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: