Backup of xServer

This forum deals with administrative topics such as monitoring and system setup. It is dedicated to system administrators who do not have to deal with the functions themselves but who have to establish and maintain proper environments.
Public since 15.2.2017

Backup of xServer

Postby PaulBuechs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi,
I want to ask which folder of a xServer should be saved for an emergency backup.
If we have on Server A all xServer set up as we want it and have a second Server B, there are all xServer run without set up, which files from Server A we need to save, to restore the functionality on Server B. “Conf” Folder and license.ptv file are clear, but are they any other files/folders needed, that get changed for a xServer?

Best regards Paul
PaulBuechs

Re: Backup of xServer

Postby Bernd Welter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello Paul,

from my perspective the following objects should be part of a backup:

• /CONF : (all xServers) contains all necessary configuration files
  • /data/dima : (xdima, xtour, xcluster, xterritory) - depends on whether you prepared some reference dimas you'd like to reuse (in this case I recommend to have them on a test environment, too). Important to know: existing dimas use a path property in the ini file - make sure the context matches your restore environment's pathes.
  • xmap/data/bitmaps : (xmap only) - if you add customized icons they have to be on both machines, too.
  • and take care of the map directory itself
Best regards Bernd

PS: I assume you need a hot standby machine?
Bernd Welter
Manager Technical Consulting & Requirement Engineering
Senior Technical Consultant Developer Components
PTV GROUP - Germany

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgkUli9yGf0gwTDdxbMZ-Kg
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Return to PTV xServer Administration