"level of service" rendering via FeatureLayer

This forum covers all questions dealing with visualization of data within the native PTV xMap interface. Please remember that additional plugins such as AJAX or Leaflet may be handeled in other forums.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

"level of service" rendering via FeatureLayer

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello guys,

today a WKB (= well known buddy) provided a sample implementation of our new generic approach called FeatureLayer to me. The sample is available at Oliver's git hub and looks like this:
Level of Service sample
Level of Service sample
Though the sample doesn't cover routing based on the daytime data the xRoute is also able to consider this level-of-service within the computation.

The core mechanism that is used for the visualization is the so-called FeatureLayer which enables us to access additional data such as
  • level-of-service based on daytime (historical data) also known as "traffic patterns"
  • truck restriction zones
  • time zones
  • preferred routes
both for rendering and routing. With the upcoming 1.20 version of the servers we will provide a codesample in the CodeSampleBrowser as well. But for now take Oli's eyecatcher ;-)

Additional content is available for [urlhttp://xserver.ptvgroup.com/en-uk/developer-zone/customer-area/ptv-xserver/product-download/#c2638]download in the restricted area[/url] after login.

From a technical point of view you have to take a look at the XML snippet mechanism to make use of this data in a regular xmap / xRoute request.

Oli also provides the source code.

Feel free to provide feedback about this FeatureLayer via the forum,

Thanks to Oli - you are my guru!

Bernd
Oliver Heilig

Re: "level of service" rendering via FeatureLayer

Post by Oliver Heilig »

Put a sample with speed-patterns routing on GitHub: https://github.com/ptv-logistics/fl-labs

Sample: http://ptv-logistics.github.io/fl-labs/
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: "level of service" rendering via FeatureLayer

Post by Bernd Welter »

wow - looks like I need some update in this thread:

In 2014 my understanding of "level of service" was driven by the "speed patterns".
I did not consider the difference between
  • PTV_TruckSpeedPatterns / PTV_SpeedPatterns: static map data that contains statistically condensed road utilization depending on the time of the day. This data is created once per map and then enables a routing engine to determine daytime dependent speed values. But it is NOT linked to "live data".
  • PTV_TrafficIncidents: The live data we have in place (in february 2024) is the TOMTOM HD traffic data which is updated every few minutes. Sounds great! This does not cover all the roads in a map. The purpose of this data is to reflect known incidents such as "accidents caused a temporary road blocking" or "due to roadworks there's a lane reduction, speed reduction at..." which is valid from/till. But this approach does only cover a subset of the roads within a map.
  • From a LOS / Level-Of-Service API the user would expect a "almost full coverage" (same as Speed Patterns) with a proper meaning (dynamic update equal to PTV_TrafficIncidents). At least I heard some rumours about a new functionality that might appear in the PTV Developer ;-)
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: