Fuzzy via point

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
t.mateit

Fuzzy via point

Post by t.mateit »

Hello,

I am using the fuzzyRadius parameter in a via point but it seems that it gets ignored since it actually gets off the highway, passes the exact address of the via point, and gets back on the highway again.
My expectation is that the calculated route does not pass the fuzzy via point exactly and stays on the highway.
FuzzyWayPoints_MapExample.jpg
I am not sure if all the parameter in the request are set correctly. Currently we are using the following parameter for fuzzy waypoints:
FuzzyWayPoints_PTVRequestExample.jpg
Is the viaType also to be set to "Fuzzy"?

I also attached the xRoute logs of the example I used. This example contains 3 "normal" waypoints and 1 fuzzy one (2. waypoint).

BR
Thomas
Attachments
Log_xRoute_ExampleFuzzyWaypoint.zip
(27.85 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Fuzzy via point

Post by Bernd Welter »

Please use the VIA type property

Code: Select all

<WaypointDesc fuzzyRadius="2000" linkType="FUZZY_LINKING" xmlns="http://xroute.xserver.ptvag.com">
<wrappedCoords>
<Point xmlns="http://common.xserver.ptvag.com">
<kml xsi:nil="true" />
<point x="12.1081" y="51.07765" />
</Point>
</wrappedCoords>
<nodeID xsi:nil="true" />
<wrappedRoutingOptions xsi:nil="true" />
<wrappedSegmentID xsi:nil="true" />
<wrappedVehicleOptions xsi:nil="true" />
<viaType viaType="FUZZY" />
</WaypointDesc>
ViaType
ViaType
and the proper linking type...!

Best regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
t.mateit

Post by t.mateit »

Hello Bernd, I've realized that I never replied to your comment. Please let me apologize and express my gratitude at least now! After your comment back in 2016 we did as you advised (=start using viaType="FUZZY"), it fixed the fuzzy waypoint interpretation (=route on map just passes nearby waypoint, also driving time & distance seems calculated properly).
I have one question related to your answer though, if I may.

In your reply you've used linkType="FUZZY_LINKING", which as per 1.24 xRoute documenation is depreciated:
PTV_linktype.jpg
Please what is the proper usage now?
1) viaType="FUZZY" together with linkType="FUZZY_LINKING"
2) viaType="FUZZY" and leave linkType to some other value (=by default we are using AUTO_LINKING)

May I please kindly ask you for your advice/recommendation?

Kind regards
Thomas
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Thomas,

I discussed this topic with our core development. There is a difference between the topics LINKING and VIA handling.

While LINKING determines the effective coordinate on a street segment that is used for the routing afterwards the VIA handling is more like a succeeding business logic for the later use.

Anyway: I recommend that the documentation of the two properties will be improved.
For example I'm not sure how to separate
"WPD.LinkingType=FUZZY, VIATYPE=VIA" from "WPD.LinkingType=AUTO_LINKING, VIATYPE=FUZZY"...

Maybe one of the developers can give a more clear statement about this.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Joost

Post by Joost »

I had this discussion with a developer before. LinkType=FUZZY_LINKING + viaType = null is the same as LinkType=AUTO_LINKING + viaType=VIA_FUZZY.

The behavior of LinkType=FUZZY_LINKING + VIATYPE=VIA is not defined, because this should not happen. FUZZY_LINKING became deprecated the moment the viaTypes where introduced in the interface. So in theory there should not be solutions using FUZZY_LINKING who also set the via type.

To give an answer on the question what to use: I recommend the LinkType=AUTO_LINKING + viaType=VIA_FUZZY for fuzzy points. AUTO_LINKING behaves much better near highways (especially crossings) then other LinkTypes for the fuzzy use case.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux