Comparison: RoutingOptions versus XML Profiles

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
KZsolt

Comparison: RoutingOptions versus XML Profiles

Post by KZsolt »

Helo everyone!

We started to discuss different questions recently and we need some advice:
1) What is the suggestion about RoutingParameters and profiles: Is it a better approach to create profiles systematically (like Bernd pointed it out in forum posts) and abrogate all the RoutingParameters we currently have, or better to keep both of them for future cases? What do you suggest? How do you guys plan to handle RoutingParameters in the future?
2) If we use a profile snippet and RoutingParameters in the same query, how does the xRoute server priorize them? The profile snippet ovverrides the locally stored profile parameters on the server and RoutingParameters overrides the snippet we send, or the way around?
3) About High Performance Routing (HPR): We plan to give a try and test this new feature, but we are not sure about a simple, yet important thing: Is it possible to create a HPR profile, which has the same configuration that we use in our normal profile? Is it possible to create a „new routing network” which takes into consideration all the restrictions we set in our normal profile?

Regards,
Zsolt
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: General questions

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Zsolt,

here is my personal advice regarding the questions you mentioned:
  • RoutingOptions versus XML: though using the RoutingOptions is easier than the XML approach we recommend to use Snippets / server profiles. One of the major benefits is that the XML approach has access to 100% of the available features while the RoutingOptions cover only a subset of the mechanisms. Another benefit is that you can exchange the snippets with other services such as xTour so if you want to combine routing and tour optimization you can even use the same files.
    With the upcoming xServer extended features (release expected october 14th, 2016) we changed the approach of the options: we will enable you to create the request profile elements based on the UPM via the API (check https://api-xstwo.cloud.ptvgroup.com/da ... estProfile )
  • The priority of the sources of a parameter is (highest prio first)
    • RoutingOption
    • Snippet
    • Server profile
    • Default server profile
  • Question 3: HighPerformanceRouting: I recommend that you store the effective profile (see the other thread raised by you: http://xserver.ptvgroup.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=9&t=226) on the server, e.g. as "zsolt.xml" and then use the RoutingNetworkGenerator to create the searchgraph. Should work. I don't see the "why not" ;-)
Best regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Comparison: RoutingOptions versus XML Profiles

Post by Bernd Welter »

Here we go...
Matching_table.xlsx
The attached Excelsheet shows the matching between the RoutingOptions and the XML nodes
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
Thanks a lot, LARS!!

Regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany

sebastian.pietrzak

Re: General questions

Post by sebastian.pietrzak »

Asterix wrote: [*] Question 3: HighPerformanceRouting: I recommend that you store the effective profile (see the other thread raised by you: http://xserver.ptvgroup.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=9&t=226) on the server, e.g. as "zsolt.xml" and then use the RoutingNetworkGenerator to create the searchgraph. Should work. I don't see the "why not" ;-)[/list]

I see one problem. If you calculate routes using truck with different parameters :

[*]totalPermittedWeight
[*]emptyWeight

like 40T Truck , 8T, 3T you need create seperate HighPerformanceRouting files for each one.

Why? Becuase in your "effective profile" you have defined static values in these parameters.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Comparison: RoutingOptions versus XML Profiles

Post by Bernd Welter »

Right. But I wouldn't call it a problem. It is some more work but you already know what you have to do for it...!
:D
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany