Routes in past - is historical considered for calculating?

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
nr-tis

Routes in past - is historical considered for calculating?

Post by nr-tis »

Hi,
I have a question about calculating a route with date in the past.
Background: I want to compare a route driven by a truck in past with a calculated route.

Will the calculation consider historical data, e.g. traffic jams, closed roads etc?

Best regards
Norbert
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Routes in past - is historical considered for calculatin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Norbert,

the answer is a bit "grey": depends on what kind of impact you expect from the response:
I assume you refer to "considering additional data in the request". Now here's a quick overview which additional source could help with which contribution:
  • FeatureLayer PTV_SpeedPatterns, PTV_TruckSpeedPatterns (based on historical traffic information): if used in the request we determine the day of the week of the routing context, e.g. tuesday. Then we apply the traffic conditions that were given on "THE TUESDAY data" in combination with the time. This does not consider the conditions of a specific TUESDAY but is more heuristic, some kind of an average time on an average tuesday
  • FeatureLayer PTV_TrafficIncidents (used to be TrafficInfoLoader, based on LIVE traffic info, updated every XX minutes): as this info is updated quite often the traffic condition few days ago is gone and no longer part of the current file (or database) content.
  • Custom RoadEditor layer (content maintained by the customer within MAP&GUIDE RoadEditor): well, that's tricky. Depending on when and how you maintain the data it might be possible that using this data sources information reflects the street conditions at a specific point in time (the past). But this is outside the scope of PTVs maintenance
OK, this was the more detailed answer and I'm aware that this is probably not what you want to have. But it is the current situation.

Best regards
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
nr-tis

Post by nr-tis »

Hello Bernd,

thanks for the detailed answer. So you're right, for our use case it would be much better if the calculation would take the PTV_TrafficIncidents layer with traffic jams and closed roads etc. into account.

You explain that this information gets lost after a few days. Is it a fix period, lets say always 2 days? If yes, will the calculation use that data if I make a request for yesterday or will that information will never be used for calculating in the past?

Best regards
Norbert
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

I think there's a misunderstanding of the PTV_TRafficIncidents:
This data is always a SNAPSHOT of the information that is available AT THE MOMENT.
The usecase behind this is to have an appropriate routing distance/time considering NOW.

Usually the traffic data is updated via Content Update Service every 1 or 5 minute.
The goal is definetly NOT to have some kind of journal / history stored in the feature layer.
Though I understand the idea...

Sorry for the negative answer - I'm just transparent as always.

Regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany

nr-tis

Post by nr-tis »

Yes, there was a misunderstanding.. Thanks for clarification!

Best Regards
Norbert
g.fiume

Post by g.fiume »

Asterix wrote:Hello Norbert,

the answer is a bit "grey": depends on what kind of impact you expect from the response:
I assume you refer to "considering additional data in the request". Now here's a quick overview which additional source could help with which contribution:
  • FeatureLayer PTV_SpeedPatterns, PTV_TruckSpeedPatterns (based on historical traffic information): if used in the request we determine the day of the week of the routing context, e.g. tuesday. Then we apply the traffic conditions that were given on "THE TUESDAY data" in combination with the time. This does not consider the conditions of a specific TUESDAY but is more heuristic, some kind of an average time on an average tuesday
  • FeatureLayer PTV_TrafficIncidents (used to be TrafficInfoLoader, based on LIVE traffic info, updated every XX minutes): as this info is updated quite often the traffic condition few days ago is gone and no longer part of the current file (or database) content.
  • Custom RoadEditor layer (content maintained by the customer within MAP&GUIDE RoadEditor): well, that's tricky. Depending on when and how you maintain the data it might be possible that using this data sources information reflects the street conditions at a specific point in time (the past). But this is outside the scope of PTVs maintenance
OK, this was the more detailed answer and I'm aware that this is probably not what you want to have. But it is the current situation.

Best regards
Bernd
How does PTV give information about traffic? So far as I understood 2 kind of data are passed:
- Time loss for the traffic
- Speed loss for the traffic

Is it possible to have different information? Like the coordinates of an accident or the length of the traffic jam and obviously its position?

Thank you again
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello G.,

you can retrieve information about the traffic incidents by xMap and xRoute:
xMap : gather the object infos
Tooltips created based on the object infos in the visible section.
Tooltips created based on the object infos in the visible section.
Another approach is based on the route list segments and the featureDescr-property of the segments:
absoluteSpeed=60|category=110|language=en|message=A8 eastbound at Nünschweiler bridge maintenance work|length=1032|startX=4335334|startY=5472299|language=|incidentId=TTI-574efa22-88db-4b8b-afe3-5e23fd9c25f1-TTR125906055411456-1_1:PTV_TrafficIncidents([(y2016M8d8h14m0s0){M11w3d1h22}])
absoluteSpeed=60|category=110|language=en|message=A8 eastbound at Nünschweiler bridge maintenance work|length=1032|startX=4335334|startY=5472299|language=|incidentId=TTI-574efa22-88db-4b8b-afe3-5e23fd9c25f1-TTR125906055411456-1_1:PTV_TrafficIncidents([(y2016M8d8h14m0s0){M11w3d1h22}])
Works fine with me ;-)

Is this answer what you need?
Best regards
Bernd
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany

g.fiume

Post by g.fiume »

Asterix wrote: Works fine with me ;-)
Is this answer what you need?
Best regards
Bernd
Perfect. Thank you again
g.fiume

Post by g.fiume »

I'm having some problems with featureDescription: sending the same request, sometimes I receive the featureDescription and sometime no. The request is always the same. Do I need to check something on my server configuration?

Best Regards
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello G.,

Maybe there's some issue with the content update service?
Do you always connect to the same service?
Or is it a load balanced instance?
As this requires some 1:1 handling I recommend to get in touch with support.

Best regards from Paris,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany