Segment Definition

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
g.fiume

Segment Definition

Post by g.fiume »

Hi, I wasn't able to find on the manual how segment are calculated.
I've found this definition:
The roads of the routing network are divided at crossings and other important points into small road segments. Also ferries and piggy-back services are integrated as special segments in the routing network. When a route is calculated, each segment is assigned a mathematical cost value that can be influenced by a lot of parameters.
But isn't clear how PTV decide which points goes in a segment and which points goes in the next one. And so, why some segment are longer than others?

Thank you (again) for your help
Gianni
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Segment Definition

Post by Bernd Welter »

Well, from my point of view I'd describe a segment as a sequence of points (sometimes just two, sometimes more) that is not interrupted by a crossing...
P : the center of the left bar cannot be handeled as a single segment because it is connected to another element and therefore contains a crossing<br /><br />T : The top bar has to be treated as two segments as there is another 3-element node<br /><br />V : Could be seen as a single segment (without a node) or two separated segments.
P : the center of the left bar cannot be handeled as a single segment because it is connected to another element and therefore contains a crossing

T : The top bar has to be treated as two segments as there is another 3-element node

V : Could be seen as a single segment (without a node) or two separated segments.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Segment Definition

Post by Bernd Welter »

Oh and there is another criteria (Thanks to our data expert Thomas E.) :D :
  • A segment is a unit created by one of the data providers. The provider partitions the digital network based on his own rules.
  • A segment is a unit which is based on the application of ISO certificate GDF based on defined critreria.
  • Though a crossing is an important base object that has influence on the segment endpoints it is not the only one: changes of attributes on a segment (speed limits, streetname, linked to different administrative base element ...)
We are family!
Thanks Thomas!

Enjoy your holidays!
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: