webinar aftermath : xServer EXTENDED FEATURES (18.10.2016)

Deals with generic topics such as logging, framework and so on. If you are not sure where to place your topic just put it here.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

webinar aftermath : xServer EXTENDED FEATURES (18.10.2016)

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
here are the questions and responses gathered during todays webinar dealing with xServer EXTENDED FEATURES.
Feel free to get in touch in case of questions, thanks to Daniel for the content.
Regards Bernd
  • Question: Can we search addresses in any format and the search is intelligent to figure out what is street and what is city?
    Answer: The search mechanisms are quite smart - I recommend that you test the capabilities on the test environment.: https://api-xstwo.cloud.ptvgroup.com/da ... g%7C_____1
  • Question: Hello, this test page not found "HU, Budapest" ! Map is limited to some countries ?
    Answer: not 100% sure but as Daniel mentioned during the session: we are adding more and more address point datasets - currently we have DACHLI (D=Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein)
  • Question: Thank you for the link. But searching for "St Kilda Rd, Melbourne, Australia" I couldn't see what I was expecting.
    Answer: Current data doesn't cover AUSTRALIA (only Germany, Switzerland, Austria... and some more european regions)
  • Question: I can see post code regions on the map - is this a new feature?
    Answer: additional data, custom data, usually merged by 3rd party frameworks
  • Question: In the test environment (api-xstwo.count.ptvgroup.com) we see that now modules share many services. How does the x-server 2 prioritize requests? (e.g. 50 xmap requests and 8 xroute requests and 10 xlocate requests concurrently) ?
    Answer: Prio? Queueing... you can specify how many modules of which kind are available. But from that moment on it should be "first in, first processed"
  • Question: Can you please enlight if we have new features for considering realtime travel, considering current traffic?
    Answer: These topics re in progress / on the agenda for the next steps: dynaimic info is based on FEATURE LAYERS and they will be added one by one...
  • Question: when i need to calculate both total km and km with tolls, do i have to call xroute2 twice like with xroute_ Answer: I hope not ;-) You should be able to request various optional output elements depending on what you request
  • Question: Is Soap faster than json?
    Answer: fundamental question: Usually SOAP produces somekind of overhead and is preferred in DESKTOP environments. JSON is sometimes easier to implement (though I prefer SOAP). The processing speed of backend modules should be equal because it is logically parsed and treated by the same backend libraries
  • Question: Are xRoute, XMap and XLocate now on 1 server?
    Answer: Yes.
  • Question: Actually, we are using PTV RoadEditor for tweaking the road speeds, closing roads or tunnels/Bridges, I would like to know if we have any easy to use tool and update all PTV servers, Can you please explain any inbuilt new features regarding this?
    Answer: GOOD QUESTION! The traditional approach of maintaining ROAD EDITOR truck attributes files should be replaced by FEATURE LAYERS but we can't provide a maintenance API at the moment. This is a quite complex topic that is on the product managements agenda.
  • Question: so will you support xserver1 until the roadeditor kind of functionality will be ready for xservers2?
    Answer: More generally spoken: both platforms will exist in parallel for the next years. It is not our goal to cut xs1 off soon...
  • Question: Can you please unmute me, I just would like to discuss
    Answer: Sorry - we have about 50 players in the session, can't deal with all the individual demands. I recommend that you get in touch with your local consultant after the session!
  • Question: no i mean the core functionality of xlocate, xmap, xroute...
    Answer: not as far as I know...
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at Youtube
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: