Maps: Meaning of file extensions

Deals with generic topics such as logging, framework and so on. If you are not sure where to place your topic just put it here.
MISTERX

Maps: Meaning of file extensions

Post by MISTERX »

I'm looking for a (complete) list of file extension use in the map folders. That means not only in the standard/base installation. I'm interested as well in the extensions of files in additional content and so on.

Some seems to be quite clear (e.g. FLR = FeatureLayer?) but others not (e.g. BDB).

Furthermore: when I look to older maps (I'm especially talking about TomTom) I find in the country-folder BDB- and BDG-files. In 2017.1T there is only the BDB-file!

Does anybody have a list with the all the (possible) extensions?

Is anybody able to tell me if there are differences in the map structure (by files contained in specific folders) in certain versions (years/releases)?

I will appreciate answers with partial explanation, too!
Mr. X
  • Integration PTV <> SAP
  • Senior Consultant

Optimism is only a lack of data!
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Maps: Meaning of file extensions

Post by Bernd Welter »

ok, probably a response that will grow... let's start like this:
  • *.GP : geoplatform archive. combines native files as an archive. If a file is also available as an extracted version the EXT overrides the GP
  • *.FLR : feature layer. Contains additional segment information such as specific restrictions (e.g. TruckAttributes) or info (PTV_SpeedPatterns)
  • *.GPI : additional postcodes such as 7digits for UK or 6digits for Netherlands
  • *.BDB and *.BDG : native building information (e.g. for building footprints)
  • *.RND : native rendering files
  • *.RTG : native routing files
  • *.GCD and *.GCI : native geocoding files
  • *.CIF : native country info files
  • *.LFL : native linkflags files
Maybe you'll never see some of the extracted versions because the native files might be part of the GP.

If a specific extension is missing let me know and I'll gather internally and extend the list. But please be aware that I'll not provide detailed documentation of internal topics ;-)

Best regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at Youtube
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: