Looking for the solution of findAddresses.

deals with geocoding and reverse geocoding
webdirekt

Looking for the solution of findAddresses.

Post by webdirekt »

We have the list of Addresses which we are passing to the findAddresses method of xLocate.
We are facing issue. When we pass the list which contains 3 Addresses in request of findAddresses.
We are getting geocoordinates of 3 addresses in response, but the response has different address details. Please refer below image.
Attachments
findAddresses_RequestWithResponse
findAddresses_RequestWithResponse
Joost

Re: Looking for the solution of findAddresses.

Post by Joost »

I move your topic over to the xLocate sub forum since this is a pure xLocate question.

Coming back to your question:
With xLocate we always try to find the best output that matches your input. If we cannot find a result on the same detail level, it returns the closest details level it did found results on. In your response you can see that the detailLevelDescription of the found result is on CITY level. This is an indication that the their are no suitable matches for your street information or postal code information. Since Cities are connected to postal codes we do return the postal code belonging to the city. In bigger cities which contain multiple postal code We shorter it to the common characters and use * for the rest.

Apart from explain this behavior I did take a look at your input to see if we are missing something. I cannot find any hint that the street or the postal code you are providing exists.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
webdirekt

Post by webdirekt »

Hi Joost,
Thanks for your quick reply, maybe we were not able to express our problem clearly. We want to develop a utility where we can use the findAddresses method to get back Geo-coordinates for a list of Addresses and insert them in the Database.

Say we are making a Request with 3 addresses as below:
1. Zip=44002, City=Dortmund, Street=Straße 99
2. Zip=33026, City=Brakel, Street=Hinterstraße 13
3. Zip=57009, City=Siegen, Street=Mixstar. 87

The Response returned by PTV is as below:
1. Country=D, Zip=44***, City=Dortmund, Street=, x=829905.55891, y=6704680.9316
2. Country=D, Zip=33034, City=Brakel, Street=Hinter den Höfen, x=1022267.2223, y=6729531.9093
3. Country=D, Zip=570**, City=Siegen, Street=, x=892164.71029, y=6591618.3109
Country=F, Zip=67160, City=Siegen, Street=, x=894353.02644, y=6260812.4701

We can see that PTV has responded with 1 suggested address for the first 2 requested addresses and 2 suggested addresses for the 3rd requested address.
We would want to have something like below
1. Zip=44002, City=Dortmund, Street=Straße 99
PTV returned x=829905.55891, y=6704680.9316

2. Zip=33026, City=Brakel, Street=Hinterstraße 13
PTV returned x=1022267.2223, y=6729531.9093

3. Zip=57009, City=Siegen, Street=Mixstar. 87,
PTV returned x=892164.71029, y=6591618.3109 and x=894353.02644, y=6260812.4701

Is it possible that PTV returns back to us the original addresses that we sent while making the request.

Waiting for feedback.
Joost

Post by Joost »

This is not possible. xLocate will always returns the data it has found in the map data.

IMO this is also not logical. If you expect the outcome to be equal to your input for certain fields, then do not look at the output for those fields.

Looking more closely at your data: I can not find any details matching your street information, also not if I search through our internal core data.

Overall I do recommend that you get in contact with your consultant to have a deeper look into your workflow for geocoding. In this forum we can give some generalized hints and explanation, in your case I do believe you would benefit from more direct contact.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
webdirekt

Post by webdirekt »

Hi Joost,
Thanks for your feedback.
In this case we will need to write our own logic to map the request and response. So we can insert in our database the request we sent and the response received from PTV for the corresponding request.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Sidenote: some of our customers deal with your requirement as follows:
They provide different versions of an address in the database table
  • Input address = data provided by user or interface
  • Geocoded address = data returned by xLocate (or other geocoder)
  • Visual address = version that should appear in the frontend, sometimes equal to INPUT address, sometimes GEOCODED address
Furthermore they add columns to indicate the status of such an address
  • Not geocoded
  • Manually geocoded (e.g. after fine positioning via a map interface)
  • Automatically geocoded (e.g. after xLocate request)
This helps in cases of map update when a customer wants to re-geocode those addresses that have been geocoded automatically (with lower score or detail) but not to touch the addresses that have been positioned manually.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: