Cargo Bike routing

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Cargo Bike routing

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi there,

I've been challenged from a tour optimization partner about how to parametrize bicycle routing. Though the question was triggered in the xTour2 context I decided to drop the response here - at least when it comes to the underlying routing aspect, aka "proper driving times and distances in the context of bicicle based couriers".

On the one hand our xServer2 provides a stored profile named BICYCLE which deals with some of the routing relevant properties:
  • driveType="BICYCLE"
  • typical speed values
  • no "engine", no "emissions"
  • avoidance of highways and federal roads
  • allowance of residential and delivery only roads...
Well - these parameters are only as good as the underlying data. Usually the main providers TOMTOM and HERE have a clear focus on engine driven transport logistics and routing. But special objects such as dedicated bicycle lanes or unuseful stairs aren't considered.

The topic appears more and more often and therefore we already work on a solution. Subscribe to this article and stay tuned for updates!

Bernd
Attachments
Bicycle based routing based on a traditional map provider. The green path follows the bike lanes through Karlsruhe's beautiful Schloßgarten.
Bicycle based routing based on a traditional map provider. The green path follows the bike lanes through Karlsruhe's beautiful Schloßgarten.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: