Impact of number of loading patterns on performance

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Impact of number of loading patterns on performance

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi DEV,

one of my partners wants to deal with loading patterns in xTour2, e.g. 34 different patterns

[0] --> 33 palettes, zero Dingelhopper
[1] --> 32 palettes, 2 Dingelhoppers
[2] --> 31 palettes, 4 Dingelhoppers
[32] --> 1 palette, 64 Dingelhoppers
[33] --> 0 palettes, 66 Dingelhoppers

I am aware of the meachnism and just curious: what is the impact of a bigger number of vehicle loading patterns on
  • performance
  • quality
So far I heard from Daniela that the impact depends on the com.ptvgroup.xserver.xtour.QuantityScenarioChangePosition
  • If this value is set to BetweenTrips the algo has to iterate over a compareably huger number of combinations. In some tests with about 100 patterns this caused a performance decrease of 2.5.
  • If this value is set to AtStop we can interrupt once we found a first valid pattern. (Worst case: if the last existing pattern is "the first valid one" we also have to iterate over 100%)
Remaining question: how about "impact on quality"?

edit 27.10.2022: we regularly try to improve our performance - maybe the statement above is subject to change once we put that specific challenge on our desk.

Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: