Supported RESULT_LANGUAGE ISO 639-2 Codes

deals with geocoding and reverse geocoding
voringer

Supported RESULT_LANGUAGE ISO 639-2 Codes

Post by voringer »

Hello,

for the findAddress API I can specify a RESULT_LANGUAGE option to return e.g. the city1/2 name in a different language.
Unfortunatelly I can't find a list of supported ISO-639-2 codes and we have to define somehow a fallback what to use if a language is unsupported.

Is there on the one side a list of codes, that are used/have translation (I don't think there is for all 17576 possible ones) and on the other side is there a matrix which locations of a country are translated to which language (e.g. polish cities are translated to german, but german cities are not translated to polish)?

Best regards,
Peter
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Supported RESULT_LANGUAGE ISO 639-2 Codes

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Peter,

the answer isn't that simple and the following comments should help to understand what you can expect (or can't expect):
  • a code for a specific country might be supported but that doesn't guarantee that we have all the translations for the cities in your target language. Most times we have translations for the major cities such as Paris, London, Berlin, Rom...
  • besides the capitals there are ususally also some translations available for big cities, too (e.g. Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, ...)
  • If you request a language code which refers to data where we do not have a translation we return the countries national spelling.
  • so you will not run into an error but receive some other values instead
  • by the way: input is treated in a different way (xServer 1): no matter what RESULT_LANGUAGE is requested we try to find the input strings in the binary maps. If we found a city on a logical level we look for a translation into the RESULT_LANGUAGE.
  • Codes I have been using successful are
    • FRE = French, ENG = English, DUT = Dutch, ITA = Italian, POR = Portuguese, SWE = Swedish
By the way: this is similar to the rendering language used in xMap. Feel free to join this afternoons session with a customer.
http://xserver.ptvgroup.com/forum/viewt ... =483#p2165
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: