Including bridges under construction when calculating routes

This forum deals with questions about special content. Let us know what kind of content you wish to see within our services...
logintegra

Including bridges under construction when calculating routes

Post by logintegra »

Hi

Is it possible to calculate a route or matrix taking into account a bridge (or road) under construction - with an opening date already set?

I'll give specific example. Pelješac Bridge is scheduled to be opened by the end of 2022 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelje%C5%A1ac_Bridge. Currently, PTV is not using it whith start time set on 2023-01-19 (see attachement).

I used the `calculateExtendedRoute` method (API v 1) with parameter

Code: Select all

{
    "parameter": "START_TIME",
    "value": "2023-01-19T03:14:07+00:00"
}
The map used is "PTV World City Map Premium 2020.2H".

The result is not surprising and I don't think it's a mistake, I just wanted to confirm my guess.

I wonder if there is an option to include planned bridges / roads? Or is the PTV data only updated when the routes are already open?
Attachments
PTV - Croatia and future bridge.png
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Including bridges under construction when calculating ro

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Pawel,

first of all: your request reminds me of this thread dealing with a at that time german highway to be built.

On a more generic level I'd approach this topic as follows thorough some theory:
  • PTV cooperates with major providers (TOMTOM, HERE) of road networks and those players are also connected to administrations. This enables them to gather information about future projects (nothing secret but usually not a big public topic) - same as with toll tarrifs which are announced to be changed (typically increased) in the future.
  • For some future roads we therefore get names and geometries and a roadmap of the public opening section by section.
  • Such geometry data can be added to the regular maps together with a flag "open/closed". But: The data in a core map does not contain a time dependency which means our data experts have to decide about the time context: shall the segment be stored a open or closed?
  • Imagine we release a map in 1.7.2020 and we know some sections will be opened 1.7./1.9./1.11. and so on.
  • Now for the segments at the "beginning" of the map release period it is esay: flag them open.
  • But what about segments which are scheduled to be opened in 2021? WHat would happen to users who perform the update right after the map release date? "Flag them open" would cause the clients to get irregular routes.
  • So what we usually do is to decide section per section. You might see all segments in a displayed map but you wouldn't be able to see whether they are open or not.
  • By the way: keep in mind that quite often such projects have a tight schedule and may fail. Another reason why we might vote for "closed" as long as there's no safety for the release date.
I've witnessed such future sections with a scope of 1.5 years but not with three years as the one you refer to in your example. In the map you used the bridge is not even visible, right?
Region near Neum/Komarna
Region near Neum/Komarna
I therefore guess we will add the geometry in a future version (incl. "closed") and in another succeeding version we will remove the "closed" and replace it with a "open".

Another approach to consider such projects would be "long term traffic incidents":
long term traffic site in Karlsruhe/Germany: started in nov2018 the project is supposed to require almost 2 years. In such a case we can handle this properly, even including the time dependency: by requesting a route in 2021 the segments will be open. For now they are closed. So it depenmds on the data.
long term traffic site in Karlsruhe/Germany: started in nov2018 the project is supposed to require almost 2 years. In such a case we can handle this properly, even including the time dependency: by requesting a route in 2021 the segments will be open. For now they are closed. So it depenmds on the data.
But of course we can only apply attributes to segments that exist in a map.

Anyhow: I will forward your post to DATA and ask the buddies for a statement about that specific bridge.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
logintegra

Post by logintegra »

Hello Bernd,

Thank you for your - as always - quick and accurate answer. I understand that the problem of considering future roads is extremely complex - and often depends on specific situations. Thank you for giving examples and information about "long term traffic incidents".

Thank you for the link to the post about A44 - I also think that helps explain my problem.

To sum up - I did not expect any map to include roads with the planned opening three years in the future. I'm glad, however, that PTV has the ability to include geometry for future objects. Now I will be able to plan further work on our project.

Best regards,
Paweł
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Pawel,

here's some more input from DATA:
If the bridge is supposed to be opened in 2023 we will not set it to open before map version 2023.1 (Tomtom and Here).
Thanks to Farnaz !

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: