REQ: How to extract data from a map?

This forum deals with questions about special content. Let us know what kind of content you wish to see within our services...
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

REQ: How to extract data from a map?

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi there,

Every once in a while we get asked for “how can I extract complete data from a map through a single request or a bunch of requests?”… This applies e.g. to the ferry connections as in this customer request:
I am curious whether it would be possible to retrieve the whole list of COMBINED_TRANSPORT with a single getSegments operation request? Currently I am able to retrieve a list of combined transport segments surrounding a specific coordinate, but it would be great if there was an option to get the whole list.
sub set of combined transports located in western Europe
sub set of combined transports located in western Europe
Well: there are two reasons why this is not implemented by design:
  • Extracting data from a map is limited due to licensing conditions of map/data provider.
  • Therefore gathering ferry connections is limited to a specific maximum number (keep the interface/performance reasonable).
I know some compareable requests of clients such as:
  • Can I retrieve all postcodes of a country together with their city names?
  • Can I retrieve all streets of a city?
  • Can I retrieve a list of all parkings in the map?
Usually the functional request behind these questions can be resolved easily once we discussed the usecase. In the combined transport request above we assume the client wants to build a UI where the user can select a specific ferry connection by adding a meaningful intermediate point. So for this requirement a local search around a preferred port/harbour would be sufficient. Test this showcase.
2 routes in parallel. The southern track was pushed by the ferry in Neuburg.
2 routes in parallel. The southern track was pushed by the ferry in Neuburg.
Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: