How to understand guided navigation

PTV's mobile solution based on off-line maps - standard application and SDK
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

How to understand guided navigation

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi there,

here's a description of "guided navigation" in my own words ;-) As this topic comes up every once in a while I'd like to provide this info here.
GuidedNavigation.PNG
Imagine you triggered a guided navigation process with the route that is displayed in the southern part of this picture (green to red).
At the beginning of the ride the driver did follow the route but for whatever reason: he decided to leave the original track.
For a certain period he gets directions from the navigation which tells him to return to the original route.
Let's say he insists in ignoring the directions and still stays off-track.
After a while he is no longer told to get back but get's a new base route.

Now here's what happens under the roof of the engine:
- when the Guided Navigation is triggered (e.g. by a BCR file) the "guided route" is computed on the moble device. This route contains all segments along the track and the price for each oine of those segments is reduced almost to zero
- as long as the driver is close to the guided route (blue dot) it is compareably cheap to return to the guided route and then follow the rest of the track "almost for free".
- once the driver is too far away from the guided route it would be cheaper to head straight for the destination from where he is. That is the case with the "direct" route I painted into the image

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the mechanism - if not: get back to me ;-)

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: