Arabic fonts in maps...

This forum covers all questions dealing with visualization of data within the native PTV xMap interface. Please remember that additional plugins such as AJAX or Leaflet may be handeled in other forums.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Arabic fonts in maps...

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi there,

I recently was asked whether it is possible to use arabic signs and characters in our maps. This works out-of-the-box in geocoding through xLocate, but the map rendering / xMap did not "react" on the user language "ar". I managed to handle this locally: As you can see in the attached image we can render these labels in the proper fonts.
created on my local v2.22 (PTV_World_City_Map_Premium_2021_2H)
created on my local v2.22 (PTV_World_City_Map_Premium_2021_2H)
What you should know:
  • I had to replace the shipped fonts (NotoSans, doesn't support the characters) with another font (Arial). So you can apply this change OnPremise but for our cloud we need to activate this for you.
  • The availability of the translations depends on the maps coverage, too. So probably not all city names exist in a translated version.
  • I manually added "ar" as a new option within thew showcase (v2.22/webapps/dashboard/Content/Resources/js/ptv/xmap-utilities.js) to extend the showcase
Think positive: I already requested our product management to close this functional gap by design in one of the next versions.

PS: Google offers some free fonts which support arabic coding, e.g. Tajawal.

The bad news: arabic has to be written from right to left and unfortunately we don't handle this properly at the moment. I forwarded this to Product Management... If you ned this: let me know!

Best regards,
Bernd
Attachments
Abu Dhabi (close)
Abu Dhabi (close)
Abu Dhabi 1km
Abu Dhabi 1km
Dubai
Dubai
Maghreb
Maghreb
my local v2.22/data/fonts folder. Used to contain 4 "NotoSans" fonts, now contains various ARIAL fonts
my local v2.22/data/fonts folder. Used to contain 4 "NotoSans" fonts, now contains various ARIAL fonts
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: