Optimize BCR file size

PTV's mobile solution based on off-line maps - standard application and SDK
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Optimize BCR file size

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi there,

these days a partner asked me how to ensure the file size of a BCR is as small as possible so his drivers mobile quota wouldn't be exceed. Therefore I just would like to mention some strategies you could apply:
  • Use compression: once the 100%-BCR string is available you might zip it with a compression algorithm such as LZMA2. As the BCR file usually contains redundant string elements it is a proper candidate to reduce its size this way. So reduce it within the application, send it to the mobile device and extract it there. This approach won't have an impact on routing quality on the mobile device.
  • Ensure to remove manoeuvres with a strong likelihood to be mediculous. Some manoeuvres have a reduced prio - they might be unnecessary. E.g. you could use xRoute1 manoeuvreType or detailLevel. Small hint: locations before a manouuvre are less important than those after the manoeuvre. And: applying this approach may have an impact on the routing quality on the mobile device.
  • Apply both at the same time ;-)
If you have feedback or even further ideas do not hesitate to respond to this thread!

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: