1 Tour per chain Vs multiple tours per chain

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
i.kobeissy

1 Tour per chain Vs multiple tours per chain

Post by i.kobeissy »

Hello,

the way we function with PTV xTour, oblige us to cut the Tours (TransportAB) into smaller tours in our database, the criteria on which we cut the tours is the complete unloading of the vehicle, so we consider that after each Loading and complete unloading we have a tour, now when sending the inputPlan we rejoin all the tours of a vehicle and send them in 1 chain

we need to use the parameter maxTransportPointCountPerTour with TransportAB and we also need to use TransportAB so my question is :
is there a difference or side effects of sending multiple tours per chain, is it possible for us to consider that each cut tour = 1 PTV tour and then we can send multiple tours per chain ?

thanks in advance
Joost

Re: 1 Tour per chain Vs multiple tours per chain

Post by Joost »

If you want to have multiple tour after each-other this only possible if those tour all start and end with the same depot (-1 does not count, it has to be an existing depot). Else you are limited to a single tour per chain.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
i.kobeissy

Post by i.kobeissy »

Joost wrote:If you want to have multiple tour after each-other this only possible if those tour all start and end with the same depot (-1 does not count, it has to be an existing depot). Else you are limited to a single tour per chain.
Hello, thanks for the answer, this is well understood but does this mean that this way there's no side effects on the planning ? and for the Regulations and remainingPeriod we still get the same calculations ?
Joost

Post by Joost »

The regulations will work as intended with 1 big tour. This type of planning ia very common when dealing with a FTL planning where the driver does not return home each night. Regulation are needed in this situation to make the driver take the appropriate amount of rest each night (and appropriate amount of breaks during the day).
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

My statement:
be aware that a single violated tour will ruin the optimization of the vehicle's chain.
So if e.g. the first tour of the chain violates the "max stop..." constraint we will not optimize the vehicle at all but just evaluate its given time scheme.

Depending on your expectation towards the optimum (e.g. Balance between the tours?) you should be aware that Balancing allows only one tour per Vehicle.

Cheerio,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at Youtube
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: