Maximum of TransportOrders for optimizing

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
MichaelSchwabl

Maximum of TransportOrders for optimizing

Post by MichaelSchwabl »

Hello,

is there a maximum of transport orders or vehicles for a planning scenario.
Is it possible to plan for 10.000 transport orders?
What would be the expected time to calculate the plan for 10.000 orders?

br, Michael
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Maximum of TransportOrders for optimizing

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Michael,

a complexity of 10'000 is quite large. Usually my first question to an integrator who mentions such a size is:
  • Is it possible to split the global big problem into several independent smaller problems? In most cases this is a valid first step because the 100% workload is covering a large area which in fact supposed to be partitioned, e.g. 2500 orders in region A, 2500 orders in region B, ... and also the resources are dealing with a sub-region.
  • Second topic is "is it possible to aggregate orders?" - e.g. when we deal with garbage collection or field service (many short term services in the same building) it is sufficient to assign the aggregate to the same resource without interrupting the order
Both approaches speed up a single working task and especially the first one can be handeled in parallel.
So you speed up performance even without loosing functional demands (in case 1 you even improve the quality of the output)

I recommend to get in touch with your Technical Partner manager (=>me) to discuss solutions 1:1.

Best regards,
Bernd

PS: we are able to deal with distance matrices of 10'000².
The major loss of time happens during the optimization itself.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at Youtube
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: