Balancing the order capacities (xTour2)

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Balancing the order capacities (xTour2)

Post by Bernd Welter »

Cheers,

these days I received the following challenge from a player who deals with xTour2.
I have another question. We are interested in the equal distribution of orders (due to the weight) between vehicles. For example, we have 2 cars and 5 points to visit. In response to our request, we get one route visiting 4 of them (12xx kg) and one going only to one point (5xx kg). We would like the weight of both routes to be as similar as possible. What should I control to achieve this goal? I am enclosing an example of a question and answer. Thank you in advance for your answer.
The requirement reminds me of the BalancingParams that would be available in xTour 1 but the question is: how to apply this in xTour2? Well: I could imagine to proceed as follows - at least if some boundary conditions are fulfilled:
  • Imagine a homogeneous fleet based on N vehicles (example N=2)
  • Now let's define a relative value for the maximum difference between the smalles and the largest vehicles workload (in quantities), e.g. THRESHOLD=20% = 0.2
  • Furthermore the total quantity of all orders together is "QUANTITY" (in the example: 1800kg)
Now what if we define a single vehicle's quantity as (QUANTITY / N) * (1+THRESHOLD).

In my customers example this would mean: Vehicle[0].Capa = Vehicle[1].Capa = (1800kg/2) * 1.2 = 1080kg.
Depending on the granularity of the 5 orders this could try to balance the assigned orders but be aware that
- this is now a hard coinstraint which coould lead to unscheduled orders
- pushing the balance usually damages the distance/time...
- you could apply an iterative approach, too: start with THRESHOLD = 40% - if you don't like the result: reduce it... if it is balanced but orders remain unscheduled: increase the capacities...

How would you rate this approach?

Best regards,
Bernd

PS: You could also look into this xCluster based approach
Attachments
Standard planning with sufficient capacities. The utilization of the vehicles differs a lot
Standard planning with sufficient capacities. The utilization of the vehicles differs a lot
I did set the quantity per vehicle to 17 but the price we pay is the KPI: total distance increases from 950km up to 1040km.
I did set the quantity per vehicle to 17 but the price we pay is the KPI: total distance increases from 950km up to 1040km.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: