Optimization Problem

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
log-konz

Optimization Problem

Post by log-konz »

Hello PTV-Team,

I have the following problem:

We have a time interval between 05:00 -22:00 o´clock and several addresses which all fit into this interval. When I am optimizing, PTV takes an address as the first address which is accessible at 09:00.
The Problem is now, that the tour starts at 05:00 and we are at 5:30 at this first address. Now we have to wait 3.5 hours until 09:00.
This is technically correct, because all other addresses can be processed between 05:00 - 20:00, so no address is lost after the calculation. But of course it makes no sense at all for the customer, that the driver has to wait such a long time at one address, when all addresses can be processed without loss and without this waiting time at this first address.

Is it possible that I can set a parameter which can reduce even avoid the waiting times at the addresses?

Best regards
Last edited by log-konz on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Optimization Problem

Post by Bernd Welter »

Is there a specific reason why you fix the start of the tour to 5:00?

With a fixed start at 5:00 and opening intervals beyond 09:00 you have a guaranteed waiting period.

In other words: what kind of tour structure do you expect with such conditions?

Best regards Bernd
log-konz

Post by log-konz »

The vehicle must leave at 5 am in the morning. Since all addresses are available from 5:00 till 20:00 except this one with the opening from 9:00-11:00, we wonder if there is any possibility to force the calculation not to wait at this one address but to proceed few of the other addresses at first, till the opening at 9:00 am fits to process this address then.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello there,

meanwhile I created a little test project via Visual Studio and I replaced the planSequence with planBasicTours. The later method is my favourite because it enables you to have a more flexible access to the planning steps and methods.

By simply activating improvement the quality of the result is as desired. I recommend to use planBasicTours though the signature of the method looks more complicated than necessary (for 1 single vehicle optimization).
Without improvement, just construction and middle sequencing. The critical 09:00-22:00 stop with the ID=101 is indeed visited as first order and produces severe waiting period due to the fixed start time.
Without improvement, just construction and middle sequencing. The critical 09:00-22:00 stop with the ID=101 is indeed visited as first order and produces severe waiting period due to the fixed start time.
By applying an additional improvement step the order 101 is changing his position to the end of the tour.
By applying an additional improvement step the order 101 is changing his position to the end of the tour.
Best regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: