Preferring bypasses near cities

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
aron.szebelledi

Preferring bypasses near cities

Post by aron.szebelledi »

Hi,

From time to time we encounter cases together with our clients, when we cannot find a profile setting, which would prefer bypasses around cities with remaining other road preferences within the country the same.

Our goal would be to use bypasses as much as possible. But when we change the profile in a way, which results preferring these type of roads, usually it affects other road preferences negatively in other part of the country.

Please find an example below. Currently our profile is set in France in a way that most of the routing is as preferred. However, in this case the routing would choose the inner ring (pink) around Paris, although the preferred routing would be an outer ring (gray), since this bypass is usually has less traffic, especially during the day. However if we change the profile that would use the outer ring, road preferences in other part of France are affected negatively.
paris_bypass.png
Is there a segment attribute, which could be used to determine, which roads are bypasses, and hence preferred when they are available?

Thank you for your reply in advance!
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Preferring bypasses near cities

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Aron,

that is a real challenge because this isn't based on legal restrictions but on business expectations. Let's see.
since this bypass is usually has less traffic
Well, that triggers me to mention the historical speed patterns.
Here is a sample of 85 routings starting at <br />SAT 00:00, SAT 02:00, SAT ... FRI 20:00, FRI 22:00<br />You can see the different geometries depending on the time of the day (check the charts)...<br />(From F-Amiens to F-Nevers)
Here is a sample of 85 routings starting at
SAT 00:00, SAT 02:00, SAT ... FRI 20:00, FRI 22:00
You can see the different geometries depending on the time of the day (check the charts)...
(From F-Amiens to F-Nevers)
IN xRoute2 we also invented the cost optimized routing where we can consider the tarrifs to get the best path
And here's the MONETARY routing result (only available in xRoute2)
And here's the MONETARY routing result (only available in xRoute2)
Some of our customers use the new (v 2.24 experimental) feature of the energy consumption where lower/higher speeds increase the consumption - by this they expect us to perform detours around inner city regions.

Best regards,
Bernd

PS: I recommend to handle this 1:1 with me - let's set up an appointment
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: