Routing calculation with taking into account fuel costs

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
pwesolek

Routing calculation with taking into account fuel costs

Post by pwesolek »

Our customers are asking about such a route calculation, that the map takes into account mountains, highlands and so on up to calculate the chepest route having in mind besides milage and toll costs also cost of fuel.

Krzysztof from PTV suggest us to use (http://xserver.ptvgroup.com/fileadmin/f ... =elevation, we checked it out and the only thinkg looks similiar is cenEmissions.actualFuelConsumption. Is it proper solution – how should we use it, what version cover that function, how it works in details and so on?
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Routing calculation with taking into account fuel costs

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello guys,

we have to separate the following topics from each other:
  • Is it possible to parametrize a routing so it considers the consumption of fuel and the elevantions in determining the proper geometry of a route? From my opinion this is not possible. I recently posted some info about the meaning of COSTS in the article Interpretation of speed table. In other words: we consider driving time and distance, add malus values on individual segments (ExceptionPath) or segment categories (e.g. AVOID_HIGHWAYS) and ensure that forbidden segments are not used (e.g. TruckAttributes). But the segment costs are not based on fuel consumption, emissions or elevation info.
  • Return various output details such as ELEVATION info and emissions (incl. FUEL). But this optional info is simply calculated by applying specific algorithms to the data (height information) considering various standard such as CEN, COPERT, HBEFA3.1...
In other words: the optimization function of a routing which is minimizing the COSTS refers to the virtual costs described in option #1 but does not consider fuel, emissions, elevation itself. It is also important to know that those final COSTS do not contain TOLL as the TOLL calculation is applied after the routing itself - though there are parameters such as AVOID_TOLL you may use to prevent a vehicle from using such segments.

I know that this answer is negative but it is simply realistic.

Can I help anyway?

Best regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
pwesolek

Post by pwesolek »

Hi,

Thank you for the answer - are you going and when to use such a parameter to optimize teh route or at least calculate fuel costs for exact route?

Best regards Przemek
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Przemek,

I'll forward these questions to product management as they are strategic ;-)

Best regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Przemek,

long time ago... here's some info that refers to your original post: within xServer 2 we offer so called Monetary Cost Optimization.

Compared to the traditional routing you can now specify costs/distance and costs/time and further factors. Together with toll costs we will then determine the path that minimizes the total costs of a track. This is an important new approach because In the past we determined the path first and computed the toll costs afterwards. Be aware that the pie charts in the following screenshots display costs relative to the total costs.
Example 1 :  shortest track via Golden Gate bridge: almost no partial costs due to distance, the only relevant block is the bridge toll
Example 1 : shortest track via Golden Gate bridge: almost no partial costs due to distance, the only relevant block is the bridge toll
Example 2 : by setting the costs per distance and time to a very low level the track takes a long detour just to avoid any toll costs along the route
Example 2 : by setting the costs per distance and time to a very low level the track takes a long detour just to avoid any toll costs along the route
Example 3 : with some average costs per distance and period the cheapest path is somewhere between the other two examples.
Example 3 : with some average costs per distance and period the cheapest path is somewhere between the other two examples.
Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany