Best way to get trucks onto dirt roads

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
quintiqus

Best way to get trucks onto dirt roads

Post by quintiqus »

What is the best method to get trucks onto dirt roads? We have a customer that actually builds roads and their trucks need to be routed over dirt roads that normally would not be used. The carfast profile is an option instead of the truckfast profile, but I'd rather keep using the truckfast profile. I found that dramatically lowering the vehicle-physical-weight attribute works, but I'm worried that trucks are sent over bridges that cannot carry them. Any ideas?
Joost

Re: Best way to get trucks onto dirt roads

Post by Joost »

General remark about weight:

Our engine determines of a vehicle is a car or a truck by looking at the weight of the vehicle and the load it is carrying. If it is above 3500 Kg and is carrying goods or a mix of goods and passengers we see the vehicle as a truck and take truck blocking into account. Lower the value under 3500 and we assume the vehicle is a car and do not take truck blocking into account.

Note: with truck blocking I mean straight forward "forbidden for trucks". This doe not not cover specific blocking like weight restrictions or maximum height.

As for your question: I need some specific examples to investigate this deeper. I was a bit surprised by your comment that cars can take those roads, since normally dirt roads are open for both types or closed for both types and not open for one and closed for the other type.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
quintiqus

Re: Best way to get trucks onto dirt roads

Post by quintiqus »

I got an answer through Support that works for me:

I checked the according routing and there are segments that a truck is not allowed to pass through. What you could do, so as to ignore these restrictions is to enable the isDelivery attribute in your truckfast profile (or in the profile snippet). Additionally, you should lower the segmentMalus of the DeliveryVehicles.
Please see below how I modified the default truckfast profile and now using your request I get no more the linking problem.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Profile xmlns:ns2="http://www.ptv.de/com/ptvag/xserver/engines/xpoidbaccess" parent="default">
               <Common language="de" majorVersion="1" minorVersion="0"/>
               <Routing majorVersion="2" minorVersion="0">
                              <Course>
                                            <BasicDataRules>
                                                           <Network>
                                                                          <MalusByNetworkClass malus="0"/>
                                                                          <MalusByNetworkClass malus="15"/>
                                                                          <MalusByNetworkClass malus="50"/>
                                                                          <MalusByNetworkClass malus="100"/>
                                                                          <MalusByNetworkClass malus="100"/>
                                                           </Network>
                                                           <VehicleSpecific>
                                                           <DeliveryVehicles segmentMalus="1800"/>
                                                           </VehicleSpecific>
                                            </BasicDataRules>
                                            <DynamicRouting>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="1" mappedSpeed="1"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="10" mappedSpeed="10"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="20" mappedSpeed="20"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="30" mappedSpeed="30"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="40" mappedSpeed="40"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="50" mappedSpeed="50"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="60" mappedSpeed="56"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="70" mappedSpeed="61"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="80" mappedSpeed="66"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="90" mappedSpeed="69"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="100" mappedSpeed="72"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="110" mappedSpeed="73"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="120" mappedSpeed="74"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="130" mappedSpeed="75"/>
                                                           <SpeedMapping baseSpeed="140" mappedSpeed="75"/>
                                            </DynamicRouting>
                              </Course>
                              <Vehicle>
                                            <Physical>
                                                           <Drive>
                                                                          <Emissions emissionClass="EURO_5" emissionTechnology="EXHAUST_GAS_RECIRCULATION"/>
                                                                          <Engine cylinderCapacity="3000" fuelType="DIESEL" fuelConsumption="30.0"/>
                                                           </Drive>
                                                           <Weight emptyWeight="7500" totalPermittedWeight="15000"/>
                                                           <Axle numberOfAxles="3"/>
                                                           <Dimension height="250" length="1200" width="220"/>
                                            </Physical>
                                            <Load loadType="GOODS"/>
                                            <Speed>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="55" maximumSpeed="80"/>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="30" maximumSpeed="65"/>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="23" maximumSpeed="55"/>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="20" maximumSpeed="45"/>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="18" maximumSpeed="40"/>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="15" maximumSpeed="30"/>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="7" maximumSpeed="12"/>
                                                           <SpeedRangeByNetworkClass minimumSpeed="4" maximumSpeed="6"/>
                                            </Speed>
                                            <Legal >
  <LegalCondition isAuthorized="false" isDelivery="true" isEmergency="false" isMaintenance="false" isProject="false"></LegalCondition>
</Legal>
                              </Vehicle>
               </Routing>
</Profile>