Ferry lines

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
Flegregeois

Ferry lines

Post by Flegregeois »

Hello,

I would like to know what information about the ferries are included in the map and if they can update it (I don’t think it is possible), or add some time tables ?
And do we have the list of the ferry lines and the associated time table ?

Best regards,
François
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Ferry lines

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Francois,

from my understanding we only have the periods of the ferry transfers in the binary maps but not the exact timetables.
So if the algorithm tries to find a path through the network it simply knows that such a ferry segment requires additional XX seconds drinving period and produces additional 0 meters driving distance.
This is sufficient input for a Dijkstra or another algorithm.

It is not possible to determine whether the ferry is immediately leaving or the truck has to wait for the ferry schedules official departure.

If you need a detailed list of available ferries you have to get in touch with the data department to gather it.
Besides this generic approach please take a look at xLocate.findCombinedTransportByLocation. It performs a nearest search.
xLocate.findCombinedTransportByLocation: returns ferries in the proximity of a coordinate and also some info about vehicle types that are accepted / forbidden.
xLocate.findCombinedTransportByLocation: returns ferries in the proximity of a coordinate and also some info about vehicle types that are accepted / forbidden.
Best regards Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Ferry lines

Post by Bernd Welter »

Here's another comment from the data junkies (thanks to Thorsten K.):
ferries are taken from the Provider without any further Information. And from the provider there are no specific rules when they are captured or not. They write only about frequently connections.
In Europe we add some well-known ferries which are reported by customers(usually ADAC) and verified by our own investigations. But also there is no strict rule when to include a ferry or not. Only frequently is an indication to include it. Seasonal ferries are not captured by ourselves.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: