Speedprofiles US

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
MISTERX

Speedprofiles US

Post by MISTERX »

As far as I know the max. allowed speeds in US (cars and trucks) vary:
1. from Europe (as they are of course as well slightly different from country to country)
2. from STATE to STATE (Alabama might has other limits as e.g. Washington)

Assuming I have an xRoute installed (out of the box) the available profiles are (more or less) fitting to Europe.

My questions are:
Where do I find profiles for the North America Map?
By which mechanism the varieties by STATE are covered - or how to take STATE into consideration during routing?

Is there any experience?

Kind Reagrds
Mr. X
  • Integration PTV <> SAP
  • Senior Consultant

Optimism is only a lack of data!
jmamy

Re: Speedprofiles US

Post by jmamy »

Hello,

1. Considering Europe (various country) structure as the same as the USA (various states).
2. Map data contains road segments that refers to network class and a speed class.
The network class is a classificiation which link the road type(highway, motorway, pedestrian...) to a speed class. There are eight network class levels.
3. The speed class is derived from the network class and speed information like speed restrictions or maximum speeds on different roads (highway, trunk road, rural road, city road).
That means, the type "highway" can refers to various network class depending on what country/states, you're looking at.
4. Within the vehicle profil (truck40t_01-00_S,truckslow...), 8 set of two speeds (SpeedRangeByNetworkClass) are defined to simulate the vehicle speed.
Those speed intervals are mapped to the speed classes.
According to these speed and the road network class by states/coutry, the xRoute is able to handle with accuracy the different legal speed limit by coutry/state and provide a close ETA.
5. You can always change the vehicle speed profile and all vehicle parameters (weight, dimension...) using the xRoute XML snippet mechanism

The 12 next available US profiles will be available in the next release. The changes are the naming, related the 8 existing vehicle class (light duty, medium duty, heavy duty), weight and size.
Julien Mamy
Logistics Software Sales Engineer
PTV AMERICA