number of drivers and route time

Deals with generic topics such as logging, framework and so on. If you are not sure where to place your topic just put it here.
filipp

number of drivers and route time

Post by filipp »

Hello !
We are currently having trouble calculating route time considering the number of drivers.
There is a route parameter NUMBER_OF_PASSENGERS, but it is influencing only the toll costs.
How is it possible to calculate the time of the route taking into consideration that there are 1 or 2 drivers ?
Threre is a method xRoute.calculateAdvancedTour which should do the thing, but still there is a question if using DriverRegulations, does it mean that we have to define all the regulations considering different countries regarding working/rest hours manually.
Does the xRoute support implicitly regulations only for single-driver crew ?

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: number of drivers and route time

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Filipp,

you should be able to model the two-drivers-scenario (also known as "multi-manning") according to the following info:
  • Question: What is Multi-Manning?
  • Answer: Article 4(o) of the EU Driver Regulation: ‘multi-manning’ means the situation where, during each period of driving between any two consecutive daily rest periods, or between a daily rest period and a weekly rest period, there are at least two drivers in the vehicle to do the driving. For the first hour of multi-manning the presence of another driver or drivers is optional but for the remainder of the period it is compulsory;
  • Question: What changes according to law?
  • Answer: Article 8.5 of the EU Driver Regulation: By way of derogation from paragraph 2, within 30 hours of the end of a daily or weekly rest period, a driver engaged in multi-manning must have taken a new daily rest period of at least nine hours.
  • Parameter Setting in Multi-Manning Case
  • For multi-manning you should:
    • double the driving periods of the RegulationParameters as both drivers will take turns:
      breakRule_drivingPeriod, dailyRestRule_regularDrivingPeriod, dailyRestRule_extendedDrivingPeriod, weeklyRestRule_weeklyDrivingPeriod, weeklyRestRule_biWeeklyDrivingPeriod
    • change two more values of the RegulationParameters according to article 8.5:
      dailyRestRule.regularRestPeriod = 32400 (9h) instead of 39600 (11h), dailyRestRule.maximumPeriodBetweenEndOfDailyRests = 108000 (30h) instead of 86400 (24h)
    • disable the break rule as the co-driver will take a break while the other is driving
Taken from the TimeCalculator documentation (i.e. TimeCalc.dll)

Bernd
C5092632

Post by C5092632 »

Hello PTV experts!

Let me raise the problem of multi-manning again.

I need to calculate the tour (truck/road) duration against the number of drivers assigned to a tour (either 1 or 2). Apparently the duration with 2 drivers should be shorter because the 2nd driver drives while the 1st one takes a rest and I'm looking for a easiest solution. Maybe since 3 years back there's more sophisticated solution appeared (e.g. just specifying the particular Context Property Profile in calculateAdvancedTour) and you can suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Nikolai.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Nikolai,

here's some feedback from Alex (developer and expert for time calculation):
  • If you provide two drivers instead of one single driver the result tours can be shorter.
  • The period for a single driver in the multi scenario could be calculated by tour period / number of drivers.
  • What exactly is the open question or expectation? Do you want the service / algorithm to decide whether you should provide a second driver or not?
Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
C5092632

Post by C5092632 »

Hello Bernd,

thanks for your reply.

The expectation is to get different tour duration results dependent from the number of drivers assigned to a tour. The calculation should take in account EU driver's regulation parameters like max driving time and min rest time. Decision algorithm is not needed - just a time result for each case (1 or 2 drivers) as a matter of fact. What is most important is a total tour duration, the period for a single driver is less crucial.

Am I right the correct way to provide the number of drivers to xRoute->calculate_route is the following?
WaypointDesc-vehicleOptions[1]-parameter-NUMBER_OF_PASSENGERS = '1' OR '2'
Shall I specify anything else?

Thanks!

Nikolai.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Nikolai,

thanks for your feedback which has been forwarded to the core experts.

As far as I know we should separate two aspects from each other:
  • The number of driver's impact on the break- and rest rules. This is described above and simply achieved by usage of the correct driving periods and so on. It is therefore not sufficient to specify the number of passengers as there's no automatism given in the API!
  • The number of passengers also has an influence on toll calculation and the parameter you mention belongs to this scope
    Vehicle Option: such parameters are used for toll and emission calculation. From a "logical perspective" some of them are required for further usecases such as RoadEditor/TruckAttributes (e.g. TOTAL_WEIGTH) but as the API design of xServer1 grew historically these properties appear in the RoutingOptions twice (e.g. as ROAD_EDITOR_ADDITIONAL_OPTION).
    Vehicle Option: such parameters are used for toll and emission calculation. From a "logical perspective" some of them are required for further usecases such as RoadEditor/TruckAttributes (e.g. TOTAL_WEIGTH) but as the API design of xServer1 grew historically these properties appear in the RoutingOptions twice (e.g. as ROAD_EDITOR_ADDITIONAL_OPTION).
    NUMBER_OF_PASSENGERS.PNG (4.64 KiB) Viewed 8554 times
Best regards,
Bernd

PS: afaik xServer 2 will handle the rules based on a reference to applicable regulation, e.g. EU_EC_561_2006 = Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council..
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: