Can we connect to xServers from an AS400?

Deals with generic topics such as logging, framework and so on. If you are not sure where to place your topic just put it here.
Gerold Lutz

Can we connect to xServers from an AS400?

Post by Gerold Lutz »

One of my well known players wants to migrate from Intertour to xServers.

Therefore he would have to connect to xServers via an IBM AS400.

As this platform mainly supports communication via file handling I'd like to know whether xServers also "speak" plain text files. What shall we consider when we set up the future architecture?
Are there any functional limitations?
Joost

Re: Can we connect to xServers from an AS400?

Post by Joost »

I have a few customers using as400. They are all programming the connection to the xServers in Java. Either consuming the WSDL themselves or using the pre-build client classes for Java that come with the xServers. None of them are using file exchange formats.

xServer currently do no provide file exchange options. If you need this the customer should write his own service wrapping the xServer interface in a file exchange format.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Can we connect to xServers from an AS400?

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Gerold, Joost,

great to know that the AS400 supports the Java based approach for the connectivity. That seems to simplify the topic quite a lot.

One comment refering to the file handling: in fact there used to be an optional plugin called BFM (Batch File Module) which enabled xServers to exchange the xml documents via polling into a defined communication directory. Looks like that plugin is no longer required for the AS400. So just keep in mind that if needed (for whatever reason) PTV can provide such a protocol, too.

Joost: besides the protocol - are you aware of some other specific hints that could be relevant for the AS400?

Best regards from Germany,
Bernd

ps: always a great pleasure to see that the collaboration within this forum works so easy. Thanks my friends - that's community. 8-)
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: