Number of orders - response time in planBasicTours

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
jasci01

Number of orders - response time in planBasicTours

Post by jasci01 »

Hi all,

in my current customer project we are discussing about how we can map our data objects to the orders for planBasicTours.

We have some Parameters which are only possible to calculate on order item level (e.g. priority or opening intervals, as the relevant customers can differ within the order items). However, we do not want to split orders to seperate tourpoints, which we ensure by filling the site ID in the request. The only question is how the number of the orders influence the Response time of xTour Server.

An avarage tour may have 50-100 orders, with each order containing up to 30 order items. Only 1 Depot per request and only 1 vehicle per request.

Does anyone have some experience with tour planning of identical tours, but using
case a) 50-100 orders
case b) about 1500-2000 orders (about 30 of them have the same site id)
?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Regards,
Frederik
Joost

Re: Number of orders - response time in planBasicTours

Post by Joost »

A smaller set will do better, not just in performance, but also in quality of the result. I would recommend to try to minimize the amount of orders you send to xTour where possible.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Number of orders - response time in planBasicTours

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Frederik,

I made a very, very simple comparison of various planning scenarios with different number of orders. What they have in common:
  • No time restrictions on the orders or vehicle
  • Just one single vehicle
  • No need to return to the depot (sufficient capa)
  • Construction and MiddleSequencing have been applied (improvement would blow the termination time at least for a quick test)
According to Frank the performance grows in cubic style. If the construction phase is "successful" the performance should even be less than cubic.
Some sample response times
Some sample response times
As Joost mentions: try to keep the number low. Especially with a groupage of 30 per order you can win performance.

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: