Leaflet / how many parallel threads are recommended?

This forum deals with any kind of web based client technology, whether it is the well known java script based Ajax servlet or the upcoming approaches such as Leaflet, OpenLayers and so on.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Leaflet / how many parallel threads are recommended?

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi there,

From what I heard about leaflet is that it (more precise: the browser) limits the number of parallel connections to further URLs to a defined threshold value. Therefore a mapping framweork such as LEAFLET can only consume a number of tiles at the same time in parallel. In times of "full display mapping" a frontend requires 50-100 tiles and I'd like to speed up the rendering process.

Imagine we have a backend xMapServer (cluster) with sufficient number of backend modules:
Does it make sense to add further logical names to perform a "detour"? This approach could reduce rendering time by a factor 3 ;-)
Same logical backend service is assigned to several "different" names
Same logical backend service is assigned to several "different" names
Any experience in the crowd?

Best regards,
Bernd

https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rf ... l#sec8.1.4
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Joost

Re: Leaflet / how many parallel threads are recommended?

Post by Joost »

IMO the difference running xMap with 1 modules vs 2 modules is noticeable in the end user experience. However if you would upscale to 4 modules and thus 2 logical names for the host I find the difference becomes less noticeable. Even if the xServer is not in the local intranet (for example you are using xServer internet) most sites I visit often have a good enough internet connection that it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

My common advise is to start without multiple logical names and later you can always add this to your code if users still find the map sluggish.
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: Leaflet / how many parallel threads are recommended?

Post by Bernd Welter »

Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: