How to search for far piggyback stations?

deals with geocoding and reverse geocoding
innomedio

How to search for far piggyback stations?

Post by innomedio »

Dear Bernd,

We've a question, regarding finding combined transports, especially piggybacks.

We've implemented the xLocate.findCombinedTransportByLocation and xLocate.findObjectsByText endpoints.

For ferrys both of the procedures are giving good results, and it's quite easy to use them.

However when it comes to trains (piggybacks) then it's a different story:

1. xLocate.findCombinedTransportByLocation:
- even, when we set the 4 search params to no limit / or highest values (ENGINE_TOLERANCE, ENGINE_TARGETSIZE, ENGINE_FILTERMODE, ENGINE_SEARCHRANGE) we only get some short distance piggyback station pairs
- we think, it's because there are so much possibilities, because you can get to much more train stations, from az exact starting station. With ferrys there are much less possibilities
- so we think it's not a good approach
Maybe if we could add to the the params some text information (like a name part), about the wanted arrival station. Is that possible?

2. xLocate.findObjectsByText:
- for Ferry's it's working great
- however we couldn't find a way to use this to search for long train routes, like IT Navaro -> DE Freiburg (an example for one of our clients)
So the question is: how can we use xLocate.findObjectsByText for finding long 200 km+ train routes?

Thank you,
Peter
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Re: How to search for far piggyback stations?

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hello Peter,

I am not sure about the coverage of piggyback trains in the map data (so whether you can find something that might not be in the data such as NAVARO-FREIBURG).

I therefore created a Jira (XSERS-2623) and wait for our experts response. Please stay patient,

Bernd

PS: What rings a bell when it comes to ferries and combined transport and further means of transport is out PTV xIntermodal Server
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Here's some more feedback from DEV:
  • Probably the data you are looking for is not contained in the current map data
  • findObjectsByText: We use POIs from Here and it is the same as above the piggybacks are missing in the data.
  • Question 1: How to get an optimal result with xLocate1? - The optimal result depends on the content. If the expected results isn't in the data we can't find it
  • Question 2: How will we approach this in PTV Developer? - We will start implementing the places text search for PTV Developer in this quater. Probably the feature will be available end of Q3/2022. But at the end it also depends on the provider data.
So here's some room for improvement. Please let's also check whether and how the proper point in time is given for a change to PTV Developer.

Bernd
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Just a hint from our PTV Developer team: check this new feature Choose a ferry or rail shuttle connection
Bernd Welter
PTV Logistics - Germany