How to identify "No hits due to country not contained"

deals with geocoding and reverse geocoding
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

How to identify "No hits due to country not contained"

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi guys,

one of my partners encounters "no hits" when geocoding. Of course this is a regular behaviour.
He would like to know whether it is possible to distinguish the cause of this result between
  1. country not contained in the underlying data
  2. country contained but address data (zip code, city, ... except for country) is not matched at all (kind of "total score==0")
  3. country contained, address data matches but total score too low
This triggers some questions:
  • Does the API return some kind of result limitation that supports him in this challenge?
  • Is it possible to gather a list of all countries supported by the underlying geocoding index? I first thought of using the xRuntime2.getDataInformation, but this uses the map - not the GCD (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Is it possible to satisfy these needs withour manually maintained look-a-side tables which would have to be updated with every map version and software installation?
I look forward to a fancy discussion - best regards,

Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
alexander.burgmann

Re: How to identify "No hits due to country not contained"

Post by alexander.burgmann »

Hi all,

the mysterious partner in that case am I.

To work around this I just tried to find a way so we can at least populate our look-a-side tables automatically.
(so we can let this run once a week or so to bring maintenance to a minimum)

What I've attempted so far:
  • xLocate.FindAddress using only the country code => no success here.
    xLocate.FindSuggestion using "a" as search parameter => that seems to do the trick
Do you see any problems with this? For all countries I tried so far (various countries in Europe and Asia) this worked perfectly with different maps.

Alex