Backhaul calculation / Freight exchange

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Backhaul calculation / Freight exchange

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi there,

I've been asked for some recommendation for a nice little usecase - as I created another testclient for this let me share my results with you.
Here's the story:
  • Imagine you are returning from a long distance trip with an empty vehicle. At that stage you already know the distance and traveltime of the blue relation based on a distance matrix or 1:1 route. Let's call these KPIs the "reference" for the next steps.
    01-backhaul tour.png
  • Now within your horizon there's a bunch of potential pickup-delivery orders you could go for.
    FTL somewhere around you
    FTL somewhere around you
Question: which one can you add to your empty return trip with the least efforts?
  • First I created a dummy input tour with the blue relation and enforced the pickup location to be FIRST_CUSTOMER_STOP and the delivery as LAST_CUSTOMER_STOP. Then I performed a FindChangeToursProposalsRequest for each pickup delivery candidate:

Code: Select all

FindChangeToursProposalsRequest findChangeToursProposalsRequest = new FindChangeToursProposalsRequest
    {
          proposalsOptions = new ChangeToursProposalsOptions { },
          proposalsQuery = new InsertionPositionsForOrdersQuery
          {
             targetVehicleIds = new string[] { "vehicle" },
             orderIds = new string[] { 
             orderId
          },
          storedRequestId = toursResponse.storedRequestId
       }
    };
    The output of these calls gives me the decision criteria to compare the impact of the potential "changeToursActions" compared to the "reference" KPIs.
    All potential inserts
    All potential inserts
  • I then used the confirmed changeToursActions to compute the complete insertion moves.
    A specific selection
    A specific selection
  • This approach gives a very good result in terms of quality but it also "wastes" number of transactions with a square complexity. This is why I evaluated an alternative approach below.
  • For the alternative approach I didn't use the xTour module but a linear growing process based on three contributing factors per candidate:
    • The leg from the global starting location to a candidates pickup
    • the leg from the candidates pickup to the candidates delivery
    • the leg from the candidates delivery to the global delivery.
    So more or less this is based on 3 rectangular matrices:
    • [1:N] : from the global pickup to all candidates pickups
    • N-times [1:1] : from each candidates pickup to its own delivery (this info is supposed to be available once such a candidate is inserted into the global pool!)
    • finally a [N:1] matric from each candidates delivery to the global delivery
    . The output looks pretty much the same compared to the approach above but there's a downsight: you can't apply break- and restrules
    Instead of the complete distance matrix based "tour optimization" you can go for a linear growing approach
    Instead of the complete distance matrix based "tour optimization" you can go for a linear growing approach
  • NO matter what approach you want to go for: it probably makes sense to define some simple filter criteria to not consider changeTours which exceed some threshold value, e.g. based on a relative "increase" of traveltime or distance caused by the detour.
    Client filter based on relative distance... threshold 75%
    Client filter based on relative distance... threshold 75%
  • Last but not least you could evaluate to define some other criteria in advance which reduces the input candidates for that little process, e.g. based on corridor searches / reachable areas.
    The corridor of 100km along the reoute - helpful for some quick prefiltering "before" the candidates are forwarded to the "expensive" process.
    The corridor of 100km along the reoute - helpful for some quick prefiltering "before" the candidates are forwarded to the "expensive" process.
PS: Of course I already calculated all the underlying info based on a xDima2.CreateDistanceMatrix request...
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: