xRoute vs xDima

Deals with generic topics such as logging, framework and so on. If you are not sure where to place your topic just put it here.
Gr_994

xRoute vs xDima

Post by Gr_994 »

Hi,

We are using xServer on-premise.

We are using xRoute 1 to create a distance matrix (we don't have installed xDima 1). We are managing to create matrices about 100x100 and even bigger.

After some research, I found out that xDima is mainly used for creating distance matrices.

I was wondering, what is the main difference in the case of creating a distance matrix with xRoute and xDima in xServer 1? If more differences exist in the case of xServer 2, I would like to hear about it.

Also, we are testing the functionality of xServer 2, and I didn't see in Raw Request Runner the possibility of creating a Distance Matrix with xRoute, just with xDima. Can a distance matrix be created with xRoute 2?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Joost

Re: xRoute vs xDima

Post by Joost »

Main difference is the size of the dima. xRoute does not support large dima's. The limit is iirc 750 x 750 for xRoute.

In xServer 2 xRoute no longer has a matrix call. We decided that maintain dima functions on 2 locations is not usefull. Instead we did support easy dima access for smaller dima's with the createAndGetDistanceMatrix payload for createDistanceMatrix method
Joost Claessen
Senior Technical Consultant
PTV Benelux
Gr_994

Post by Gr_994 »

Dear Joost,

Thank you for your quick answer.

One more question. In the case of "smaller" matrices (up to 750x750), are there some other benefits of using xDima 1 instead of xRoute 1?

Best regards,
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Hi Zoran,

thanks Joost for joining us here...

From my perspective I'd like to add some more info:

xRoute1 versus xDima1:
  • If you create a "dima" through "xroute1.calculateMatrixInfo" the traveltimes and distances are returned to the client. The info is not stored on the server.
  • If you create a "dima" through xDima1.createDIma + xDima1.calculateDistanceTable" the logical information is computed and stored on the server.
  • If you want to get the "info" from xDima1 on the client you have to request "xdima1.exportDima" or "xdima1.getDistPeriod".
  • If a "dima" is stored on the server it can be used by "xTour1" (running on the same infrastructure) for an optimization such as sequencing or tour optimization.
  • In our cloud services known as "PTV xServer Internet 1" we do not offer the xDima1 modules.
Now let's compare some info from xServer1 versus xServer2:
  • In xServer2 Internet the dima2 module is enabled.
  • As mentioned by Joost: the xroute1.calculateMatrixInfo is replaced by xdima2.createAndGetDistanceMatrix
Well, in any case I recommend that Zoran and I set up 1:1 sessions to define the required methods and parameters from the xServer2 world to cover his current requirements...

Thanks,
Bernd

PS:
  • Let's be careful with mentioning xServers. I recommend to add the major version number each time so we can be sure whether a statement refers to xserver1 or xserver2 ;-)
  • Furthermore one could try to distinguish also between synchronus and asynchronus request approaches but I guess for this post it is sufficient to stay on complexity level.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Gr_994

Post by Gr_994 »

Hi Bernd,

once again, thank you for a detailed answer. For now, I have enough information to continue.

Best regards,
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

quick side note:
I love our implementation of XServer2 in OnPremise - haven't seen something that flexible and fast anywhere else.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: