Planning output: gap between "input plan" / "no input plan"

This forum deals with any kind of trip optimization whether it is automatic planning or manual dispatching, refering to transport orders or service planning.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Planning output: gap between "input plan" / "no input plan"

Post by Bernd Welter »

I've been asked
My question based on the below, should the two points below give the same result?
1. Sending orders via an input plan on a single vehicle
2. Sending orders and a single vehicle via planTours.
In other words:
  • At that stage I even drop the constraint of a single vehicle and put the question on a meta level
  • Is there a guarantuee that the final solution of a planning is equal no matter whether we provide an input plan or not in the planTours request?
Here's my feedback:

There can be some reasons why an “input plan based result” is not equal to the “free planned result”:
  • If the input plan is violated then it wil be different because a “FREE plan” is never violated
  • A FREE plan does not guarantee the perfect optimum (optimization is heuristics). If the FREE plan is not the optimal one then a valid “better” input plan will return a different solution (we evaluate different potential solutions, keep the best one in mind and return the best one we experienced during a planning)
Feel free to comment on this!

Best regards,
Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: