Best practices : gather toll as quick as possible

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Best practices : gather toll as quick as possible

Post by Bernd Welter »

Cheers,

from time to time I get asked how to gather the toll prices for a relation A:B as quick as possible. Users try to apply which seem to be promising to them but from my perspective I recommend to take care of the following constraints:
  • Some countries apply toll based on the time of the day. To gather such contributions properly you need to apply a proper time dependency aka TimeConsiderationMode, e.g. SNAPSHOT or ExactTimeConsiderationAtStart or ExactTimeConsiderationAtArrival. :!: If you apply no such mode or Optimistic you may loose contributions.
  • If a time consideration mode is applied you can probably not benefit from HighPerformanceRouting but have to use RoutingType=CONVENTIONAL. ( :!: Though HPR supports Optimistic and Snapshot there are no such graphs available in the XSI cloud).
  • Do not forget to activate the proper feature layers such as PTV_TruckAttributes and PTV_TruckSpeedPatterns (or PTV_SpeedPatterns). Keep in mind that each additional feature layer has a negative impact on the performance. In my opinion the SpeedPatterns might not be helpful on long distance relations.
  • :idea: If you do not use HPR you might activate the GeographicRestriction with automatic search space bounds.
There's no such thing as a simple template request - it is always useful to rethink your specific story / approach depending on whether you need the price at "tender time" (exact start time not known) or "right before driving" (start time might be known).

Best regards,
Bernd
Attachments
Sample route from DE-Mannheim to IT-Napoli (no feature layers activated)<br />Three times the same driving time and distance, but different toll prices. This is because of the different TimeConsiderationModes I applied.<br /><br />As NONE, OPTIMISTIC and TIMESPAN do not consider the daytime dependent toll in Austria the prices are lower than with ExactAtStart/ExactAtArrival and Snapshot.
Sample route from DE-Mannheim to IT-Napoli (no feature layers activated)
Three times the same driving time and distance, but different toll prices. This is because of the different TimeConsiderationModes I applied.

As NONE, OPTIMISTIC and TIMESPAN do not consider the daytime dependent toll in Austria the prices are lower than with ExactAtStart/ExactAtArrival and Snapshot.
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: