DistanceMode: DirectDistance versus ExistingDistanceMatrix

Deals with clustering based on locations but also on time regularity.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

DistanceMode: DirectDistance versus ExistingDistanceMatrix

Post by Bernd Welter »

Cheerio,

the following statement reached me today - a generic topic I'd like to share with you:
I have a confusion – how beneficial is to use dima in planCluster service? As per my understanding, this service creates territories and just for creating territories how dima is useful? Suppose I don’t want to use estimatedTravelTimeToCluster, then does it make sense to use Dima with planCluster? Because dima is to use calculate driving time and driving distance.
Well, there's a significant difference between the airline and the routing distances. I also created some samples based on same input locations - just the DistanceMode is changed. Both samples have in common
  • 300 input locations (heterogeneous activities)
  • to be clustered into 5 clusters
  • xCluster2.planClusters
:idea: If you apply airline you might get some "rough and obvious" structures but the quality is as good as within a sequencing/tour optimization based on airline: you might be able to identify obvious issues on an airline based model (such as loops and overlaps in a tour). But from a quality perspective only the routed distance matrix based approaches consider geographic aspects such as rivers, valleys, highways (or missing highways).

Bernd
300 input locations
300 input locations
The centers determined via airline / directDistance
The centers determined via airline / directDistance
The centers determined via ExistingDistanceMatrix. The choice is different compared to the DirectDistance output
The centers determined via ExistingDistanceMatrix. The choice is different compared to the DirectDistance output
The assigned locations based on DirectDistance
The assigned locations based on DirectDistance
The assigned locations based on ExistingDistanceMatrix
The assigned locations based on ExistingDistanceMatrix
From a pure perspective of the KPIs returned by xCluster the results seem to be equal.
From a pure perspective of the KPIs returned by xCluster the results seem to be equal.
Comparison of the Distance metric KPIs (xDima2)
Here are the KPIs of the distance matrix itself (successful routing, average distance = 123.386km, average traveltime = 1:56:44)
Here are the KPIs of the distance matrix itself (successful routing, average distance = 123.386km, average traveltime = 1:56:44)
Now the DIMA based on airline. Average distance = 120.889km with average traveltime = 2:00:53
Now the DIMA based on airline. Average distance = 120.889km with average traveltime = 2:00:53
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted: