Comparison of HERE toll calculation and PTV engine

This forum deals with any kind of routing computation whether it is simple A:B-routing, calculation of isochrones, simple matrix computation or nearest search.
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Comparison of HERE toll calculation and PTV engine

Post by Bernd Welter »

Here's some interesting difference in the calculation of toll if you compare the HERE API with the PTV engine...
Took me a while to gather the cause, therefore I'd like to share this effect:
The waypoint list is
  • 51.921184,19.388756 (near PL,Lodz)
  • 52.347819,16.979713 (near PL,Posznan)
PTV Developer.Routing API call (add your API key)
Left: output of PTV Developer (and xRoute 2)<br />Right: output of HERE<br />There are two more large contributions in the HERE output
Left: output of PTV Developer (and xRoute 2)
Right: output of HERE
There are two more large contributions in the HERE output
Now as you can see there's a significant gap in the prices returned by the two engines. And that is because of different design of the engines when it comes to the handling of "open toll sections": an open toll section is a section where you have to pay a given unique price no matter at which exit you leave the highway. Now here's the thing:
  • The HERE api decides to add the contribution of the A2 because the section in charge is entered.
  • The PTV api decides NOT to add the contribution of the A2 because the section in charge is never left ;-)
The route ends ON the highway.
The route ends ON the highway.
Tricky, isn't it? So the next question is "does it make sense to compute a route where the end of the track is on a highway?"

Bernd
Official tarrifs taken from https://www.autostrada-a2.pl/en/tolls/tool-rates-cat-4/ <br />No matter whether you leave the A2 at Slupca or Wrzesnia: same price.<br />No matter whether you leave the A2 at Poznan Wschod, Poznan Krzesiny, ... or Poznan Zachod: always 200 PLN...
Official tarrifs taken from https://www.autostrada-a2.pl/en/tolls/tool-rates-cat-4/
No matter whether you leave the A2 at Slupca or Wrzesnia: same price.
No matter whether you leave the A2 at Poznan Wschod, Poznan Krzesiny, ... or Poznan Zachod: always 200 PLN...
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Brabender

Re: Comparison of HERE toll calculation and PTV engine

Post by Brabender »

Hi Bernd,

we found this problem today also :-D
in Italy, France and Spain.

if the route start or end on the highway, then we have no tollcosts.

you ask: make it sense?
in 2 cases yes.
1. your Loading or Unloadingpoint is a Rest Stop
2. your Loading or Unloadingpoint is a construction site

In this cases the order end or start on this points and normaly the customer wouldn't pay the cost up to to the next Highwayexit.

Regards Norman Herbst
Bernd Welter
Site Admin

Post by Bernd Welter »

Puh, I can only forward that info to the toll experts.
In fact one could pose the question "when will your driver be invoiced? - When he really leaves the highway / toll section?"

Thanks for the challenge,

Bernd
Bernd Welter
Technical Partner Manager Developer Components
PTV Logistics - Germany

Bernd at... The Forum,LinkedIn, Youtube, StackOverflow
I like the smell of PTV Developer in the morning... :twisted:
Brabender

Post by Brabender »

Hi Bernd,

i come back to you with this case.
You have any news?

Regards Norman
Maximilian Vogel

Post by Maximilian Vogel »

I don't really understand the problem.
In countries such as France and Italy the price is determined depending on where you join the toll road and where you leave it². And it seems to be the same for that particular toll system in Poland. So if your destination is on the toll road, this information where the toll road is joined and left is simply not complete and hence, no toll price can be calculated. This is how the PTV engine behaves as this is also the underlying data model.

On the other hand I would agree to the argument that once you have passed (and not taken) a certain exit B, then the price as if you left at exit B could be returned as minimum toll price as you can only leave at the next exit C after the one you have just passed (B) because the assumption that the toll price will certainly not decrease when you stay longer on the toll road is reasonable. Of course, I do not know how HERE models their data. The screenshot is inconclusive for me.

Neither approach is wrong because the situation is undefined.

² Yes, I know that there are a exceptions in those two countries where you pay a fixed price.
Maximilian Vogel
Developer
PTV Logistics
Brabender

Post by Brabender »

Hi Maximilian,

Example you have a Order from Point A to Point B.
Point B is on the Motorway(a TruckStop or a motorway construction site) .

Now you will Calculate to the Customer the KM and the TollKm.
in this Case you receive no TollKM, because the Order finished on the Motorway.

that you leave the Motorway after the unloading is, clear but not the problem from the customer.

i hope you understand the problem.
in my opinion, your second argument is correct in the most cases. so you have all time a toll price.